Friday, December 23, 2005

Report From First Class

Surprisingly, class didn't freak me out too much and the night ended with my confidence stronger than when class first began. The first thing I saw when I walked in the room was an actual baby doll placed head down in pelvic bone skeleton. I thought to myself, "no way, I'm out of here. This kid isn't coming out that way." Luckily, my tune changed by the end of the night.

After introductions, we discussed expectations, learned some exercises to get our body ready for labor and watched a video on techniques and positions that are helpful during labor. The rule is you should move to a different position every 20 to 30 minutes. No longer are you confined to bed during labor, which is good because I don't sit still very well. We ended the night with our coaches giving us a massage and getting us to relax.....ahhh....it felt so good!

I have no doubt that Mike is going to be a fabulous coach. He always knows how to calm me down and how to build my confidence. I was happy to see that nothing freaked him out, and he was completely engaged the whole class.

Next week, we watch our first video of an actual birth, so my thoughts may swing from confidence to outright fear.

No comments: