Those on Facebook are quite familiar with this meme. I had pondered what items might make my list, however, I never took the time to completely develop it. Before I did, there was the inevitable backlash, so I figure rather than posting it on Facebook, I'll add it to the blog. Here is my list in no particular order:
1. I am specific about the order of ingredients when building a taco. Meat of course is the first layer, which is followed by cheese (I like the cheese to melt slightly), lettuce, tomatoes, and then topped with taco sauce or salsa. Much to the dismay of my husband, I am adamant that cheese must be on top of the meat. Who wants wilted lettuce?
2. I love sailing. I have had the pleasure of sailing twice in my life, but I remember so vividly how easily I grasped the concept. I felt like a natural in the boat. My favorite sailing experience was during a team building exercise at a company retreat. We had to maneuver our yachts through various buoys and secure the best time. My team, largely under my direction, went undefeated in the competition. I long to sail once again.
3. On the same company retreat, we ended our final night with a neon volleyball tournament on the beach. On the very first play of the first game, a colleague went down with a bad ankle sprain. A few games later, I went up to spike the ball and as I came down, I rolled my ankle, and that was unceremoniously the end of the tournament. I ended up being loaded into the back of a GMC Jimmy for the 40 minute drive to the nearest hospital. That 40 minutes was pure hell, but the return trip was so much better thanks to the darvocet the doctor prescribed for me.
4. Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. I just love the simplicity of the holiday.
5. After coming out of the Lincoln tunnel for the first time, I instantly fell in love with New York City. I can't wait until I can introduce Mike to the city. I also have dreams of taking Ella before she graduates from high school.
5. If I had more leisurely time, I would read and bake more.
6. I hope one day to learn how to play the violin. Guess that will be in retirement.
7. I used to be an avid jazzerciser. Attended more than 1,000 classes. Miss the class and the camaraderie with the other jazzercisers. Make fun of it if you must, but I miss it. Our budget and daily schedule prevent me from going back.
8. I am a better mom because I work. (I stole this from my friend Jennifer.)
9. Mike and I knew our first girl would be named Ella nearly three years before our actually Ella was born. In some ways, I think the name picked us. I just had the pleasure of witnessing my good friend Rene give birth to sweet, sassy Miss Payton. Mike and I ventured to the gift shop to find something for her because we were unprepared for Rene to go into labor that day. In the gift shop, we found a rack of baby Gund animals. Mike and I started reading the names for each animal. When we came across the elephant and we heard Ella, we knew without saying anything to each other that we had found our name.
10. Motorcycles. I understand the appeal of the open road. One of my favorite memories with my dad was riding on the back of his moped/motorcycle. I can't think of anything that gives you such freedom and unique perspective of the world.
11. I am a Brothers & Sister's addict. After every episode, I find myself wishing I lived closer to my brothers. However, after a long weekend with them, I leave thinking maybe some distance isn't such a bad thing. :)
12. One talent I wish I had but don't is singing. I can barely carry a tune. It's quite pathetic. Thankfully my children haven't realized how poorly I actually sing.
13. I have trouble just being and sitting still. I am working on this, thanks to the patience of my wonderful husband. He was shown me how to truly appreciate the moment and a beautiful sunset.
14. My husband and I dated for two months in college before he dumped me after a disastrous Halloween date. We didn't rekindle our friendship until the summer after my graduation. It took us quite a few years before we were ready to take a chance on us again.
15. I am a water child. I need to be near, in or on the water.
16. I didn't grow up camping. I went to camps, but never actually pitched a tent. It wasn't until I started dating my husband that I truly discovered the joys of camping, complete with an air mattress.
17. I believe ice cream makes everything better.
18. My favorite sandwich is grilled cheese (must include some Swiss cheese) and tomato.
19. I have amazing, thoughtful sweet friends who mean so much to me, but sadly I don't get to see them as much as I wish.
20. I have never seen The Godfather trilogy. (But Mike has never seen West Side Story. No real relevance, I just wanted to throw that in.)
21. If I am going to consume a beer, don't give me a pansy light beer. I am more of a dark ale or lager girl.
22. When I was seven, I won the city's "little queen" contest. What is memorable to me is standing on stage answering the judges' questions. I vividly remember giving the answer "oranges" and "Fraggle Rock" to the questions: "What is Your Favorite Fruit?" and "What is Your Favorite TV Show?"
23. Cheese was one of my favorite snacks as a child. My best friend Susie and I would see who could fold a single piece of cheese into the most pieces.
24. I can't drive a stick shift. No one had the patience to teach me.
25. I hate cutting onions but love to cook with them. I cry each and every time I chop them. They burn my eyes so badly that it feels like someone has poured Tabasco sauce in them.
Note: This is Amanda's list not Mike's list as the blog states.