Thursday, July 20, 2006

My husband, what a good man

My husband is so good to me. I am fortunate enough that I can say this on almost any day, but Tuesday night he was a saint.

I woke up around 4 am Tuesday morning with my stomach sending me an eviction notice. Something I had eaten the night before was not welcomed any longer by my digestive system. So I spent the next hour commuting to my bed and the bathroom. I’ll spare the gory details, but I can appreciate how my daughter feels with stuff coming from every end. If I had any sick days to use, I most definitely would have spent the day in bed, but without any remaining for the rest of the year, I dragged myself to work. I also had a “must attend” off-site, brainstorming meeting with our firm’s communications company in the morning.

After making it through a very long day, Ella and I returned home to watch the minutes tick by until Mike got home. I optimistically hoped she would find enjoyment in us laying in bed playing games. After multiple tickle, talking and singing sessions, she made it clear it was time for a change in scenery. Mike came home to find us in the living room with her in the jumperoo and me curled in the fetal position in front of it. He then banished me to the couch and handled all our evening responsibilities. Unfortunately for him, it was not Ella’s best night. Our normally happy, giggling little girl was MIA. Her other bottom tooth appears to be pushing through and causing her great pain. Nothing pacified or calmed her for long. After 3 to 5 minutes, she’d start up again. Mike tried the exersaucer borrowed from our neighbors, frozen bagel, teething toys, a bottle, rocking, cereal, but she was just miserable.

I felt extremely guilty, but so relieved to just relax and veg. I laid there at watched tv, something I almost forgot existed! He ordered me to bed around 9:30. I attempted to help him clean up, but he heckled me and put me to bed. So thanks sweetheart for letting me rest, allowing me to shake that nasty bug. Fever disappeared by Wednesday.

As for the little one, she’s now 5 months old as of July 14. She's a riot and just a joy. It's so much fun watching her grow and develop. Tonight, she got a taste of sweet potatoes and just loved it. Takes after her uncle Scott, my brother.

I am still amazed at her existence. I wonder if I'll ever really process it.


Heather said...

You poor dear. What an awful day.

I just had to jump in and suggest Hyland's Teething Tablets. You can get them at Walgreens. They're some sort of herbal remedy, but my doctor highly recommends them and they work wonders.

Tricia said...

Ook. Glad you're feeling better! It's never fun to feel like you have to make a decison on which end to aim toward the toilet. =P